San Diego County is known for our gorgeous beaches. With seventy miles of pristine coastline, year-around sunshine and mild temperatures, you can enjoy the surf and sand almost any day of the year.
The fresh air inherent to a beach outing is wonderful for kids of all ages.
Reasons a Parent Should Care About Fresh Air:
- Stronger bones and lower cancer risk: Today’s “indoor kids” don’t get enough sun and are becoming Vitamin D deficient, causing health risks.
- Trimmer and more healthy kids: An hour of play a day is what doctors say is a basic tool in the effort to ward off childhood obesity and diabetes.
- Improved eyesight: Recent studies find that kids who get outdoor time have less nearsightedness and need for eye glasses.
- Less depression and hyperactivity: Outdoor time in natural setting (even tree-lined streets) soothes kids and lower their need for medications.
- Longer attention spans: Children who stare at TV and video games all day have less patience and shorter attention spans.
- Better at making friends: Children playing together outdoors relate directly with one another, create games together, choose sides and improve their “people” skills.
- More creative: Outdoor kids are more likely to use their own imaginations, inventions and creativity while playing.
- Less “acting out” at home and school: Getting kids away from TV violence and video games helps them see that violent behavior does not always solve problems.
- Measurably better grades in school: The healthy bodies and minds that come with outdoor play are better able to do well in school.
- A longer lifespan and healthier adult life: Doctors estimate that sedentary and obese children lose three to five years from their life expectancy.